Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Running...


This morning on my way to and from workout at school I was listening to a message by Mr. Butler called "Jesus, the Great Divide." It was on Ephesians 4, about how there should be a stark contrast between the lives of Christians and non-believers. In the message Mr. Butler reminds us of how before we were saved we were running toward hell. While I prayed in my quiet time, after I got home, I pondered this thought. Oh how it makes the Gospel so dear when we remember what we were before! After my prayer the Spirit gave me these words. I wrote them down... I guess you could say it's like a poem. I thought it would be encouraging to share and would be a good reminder for all of us of where we were headed before we knew Christ.

I was running
Running hard and fast toward hell
I loved the world and everything in the world
I didn't want to change
I didn't see my sin
Infact, I loved my sin, too much to let go

As I was running I tripped
I tripped and fell, injuring my pride
When I looked up I saw something I had never wanted to see
Something I never expected
I was gazing into loving eyes,
Loving eyes that whispered,

"You are going the wrong way, I will help you turn around. Die to your old self and I will give you new strength to run toward me!"

Why did I get to turn around?
What enables me to run this new race?
The Cross
The Cross turned me around
My Father, with those loving eyes, gave up his only Son to die for me!
His blood covers me and has attoned for all of my sin
His righteousness enables me to run to my Father!

I can't say I'm not tempted to turn around
The other way seems easier to run
The world is so inticing, my flesh cries out to give in
But then I am reminded of when I tripped and fell
Of when those loving eyes pleaded with me,

"Please run to me!"


9 comments:

Starbright said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Mag, that was excellent! Seriously, I think you should put it to song. That you for reminding me, and us all of the Gospel. I was feeling kind of discouraged, then read that and was reminded of the fact that i have been saved. "into marvelous light I am running. Out of darkness out of shame, by the cross you are the truth, you are the light you are the way." Love you Maggers!
Keeky

Coleman Elizabeth said...

Great post Mag!
I agree with Keek. You should definitely put it to a song. And then teach it to everyone so we can be freshly reminded of God's amazing grace : )
LYF!

Billie said...

Thanks for your post Mag. I was also (with Keek) feeling really discouraged today. Battling condemnation and finding it hard to rest in God's grace. Thanks for reminding me of the Gospel. I am so thankful that I too was turned around and stopped in my pursuit of hell. I love you girl. Miss you TONS!

Anonymous said...

Mag, That was beautiful!... thank you for sharing what the SPirirt brought to your mind. It was very encouraging. Love you so much. A. Lin

Amanda said...

Beautiful, Maggie. Thanks for reminding us all of the glorious truth of the Gospel.

Jane said...

My Sweet Mag,
I started reading this yesterday, but got caught up in some troubles I wanted to fix! Because of the One that turned me around, had the strength to RUN from the temptation!!
As I finished reading this today, I felt the Holy Spirit say: I will remain Faithful to you Jane, I did not Die in vain..
Thank you so much and as for putting this to a tune, please do!!!! I love you and look forward to any updates with you..
Love you A.Jane

Katherine M. said...

Hi Maggie, Your poem brought tears to my eyes and touched my heart. Thank you for reminding us of those compelling eyes. Even when life doesn't make sense and God seems far away, we know that He is there and that He is good. It is so worth continuing to set our faces toward Him and remaining true to Jesus, our Savior! Be encouraged to be unafraid in your life as a Christian there at school. I became a Christian when I was 17 just by observing someone who truly was a believer.:)

Lizzy said...

Wow, Mag!! Thank you for sharing! True confessions, I kinda skimmed over the first part of your post and then read the "poem" carefully, thinking it was taken from some famous book or something...I was impressed by the words and heart behind them...and way more surprise/impressed to go back and read that YOU had written them!! Thank you for being so sensitive to the Holy Spirit and for being obedient to write down what he gave you...it really encouraged me, since I too was having one of "those days". love and respect you, Mags...